Thursday 21 March 2013

The Fault In Our Stars

First a disclaimer: this book comes under the category, teen fiction, I do not read teen fiction. It's not that I'm a reading snob, except I guess I kind of am but more I'm not a teen and there are more than enough books to keep me going as it is. Ok there's also a slightly more petty reason for my dislike of teen fiction, I was acquainted with a girl once who would only ever read from within this category, which is fine people like what they like, but alas she crossed me in a rather unforgivable way, stalking was involved (on her part). And so I shall always associate teen fiction with her rather distasteful memory. Saying (all) that this book isn't bad, written by john green it is essentially a Romeo and Juliet star crossed lovers type of a story. Hazel, the narrator and main character in this tale is a teenager with terminal cancer, drowning in her own lungs essentially, so it's all a bit grim and then she meets Augustus waters a hottie in remission at her cancer support group. And despite or because of everything they fall in love. It is written well, and although the subject matter could be all a bit depressing the authors wit helps lift the mood, saying that parts of it are incredibly sad and I mean proper tear inducing craic here. Truth be told, and I hate to admit it, but I really liked this novel, a minor quibble though, if like me you remember Dawson's creek where the cast, all teens talk like they're adults, this is a bit like that, also like Dawson the two main characters irritated me, but not enough to detract from the story (maybe I just don't like teenagers). 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment